Saturday, August 27, 2011

Dave Scatchard retires from NHL via Twitter, citing concussions

Is this the first time an NHL player retired via Twitter? Or that one broke the news on Twitter and then issued an explanation for it, tweet by tweet?

Dave Scatchard, who played for six teams in 11 NHL seasons, hung up the skates on Monday at 35 years old, informing his Twitter followers that it was due to concussions suffered during his career.

You can view the Tweets in his timeline; here's a slightly edited for style version of his retirement announcement:

"After a long week of tests at the Mayo clinic Dr.'s have advised me that playing hockey is not an option for me any longer. Wouldn't be safe.

"Sadly after taking the weekend to absorb it. I have accepted it and am pretty upset. Feel like I have a few more years in me still. I will miss the game A Lot. I will miss my teammates and the challenge of accomplishing our goals together. Thank you to everyone who cheered for me over the last 30yrs plus 14yrs of pro hockey. Has been an amazing journey and I loved every minute of it. Thanks to all my teammates that went to war with me for 650-plus games in the NHL and everyone who helped me get there. Thanks to my mom and dad.

"I have 3 amazing children and an incredible wife that I need to be healthy for in the future. Disappointed that I couldn't leave on own terms. Scared but excited about the future, will have plenty of time to explore my other interests in business and real-estate.

"Just to be clear the retirement is due to concussions. Thank you all for your well wishes and I appreciate the support. I have a blessed life."

He played 659 games in the NHL for the Vancouver Canucks (who drafted him No. 42 overall back in 1994), New York Islanders, Phoenix Coyotes, Boston Bruins, Nashville Predators and St. Louis Blues.

Towards the end, Scatchard was a "tryout contract" guy and a veteran option in the AHL. You had to admire how he was able to hang around in the NHL as much as you have to admire that he knows when to walk away.

Fare thee well, Dave Scatchard. We'll always remember you for your anti-Green Men measures in Vancouver:

Minnesota Thunder Buffalo Sabers USL Premier Development League Baton Rouge Capitals Orange County Blue Star

No comments:

Post a Comment