Sunday, March 27, 2011

Video: Mark Recchi, Carey Price play ‘steal my stick’

There wasn't a whole lot of levity for the Montreal Canadiens on Thursday night, as they were embarrassed by the Boston Bruins, 7-0. (Jack Edwards called it a "skunking.")

But this moment in the second period earned a chuckle: Habs goalie Carey Price loses his stick, picks up the stick of Boston's Mark Recchi, who then steals his own stick back from Price. From RDS:

Another view is here from NESN. Interesting to see how quickly Price handed the stick back to Recchi … although allowing the Bruins to do whatever they damn well pleased without putting up much of a fight was the theme of the night for Montreal.

Two other Recchi notes:

? With an assist, he tied Paul Coffey for 12th place on the NHL's all-time points list with 1,531.

? He's claiming his comments on 98.5 The Sports Hub, in which he accused the Canadiens of "embellishing" Max Pacioretty's injuries in an attempt to get Zdeno Chara suspended, were meant to take the heat off Chara before this game. From the Boston Globe:

"Well, I have to be honest with you guys, I wanted to take the heat off Zee for a day,'' Recchi told reporters afterward. "I'm a big boy. And I think anyone who knows me, knows that I have great respect for the Montreal organization. I played five years there. I have great respect for Doctor [David] Mulder, the medical staff there.

"I had five great years there,'' Recchi said of his time in Montreal. "I took the pressure off Zee. In 22 years, I've respected all my teammates, all the players I play against. My record has shown that. For 22 years. I just took the pressure off Zee for one day, I'm a big boy, I can handle that.''

Read the transcript again. All due respect to Recchi, but unless he has the nimble thinking and rhetorical gifts of Don Draper in a client pitch meeting, this is revisionist history.

Stick-tap to The Great One for the video.

Philadelpia Union Cascade Surge Cape Cod Crusaders USL Premier Development League St. Louis Lions

No comments:

Post a Comment