Sunday, April 24, 2011

NFL Lockout 2011: Who's to Blame for the Pro Football Work Stoppage?

For many fans, this has been the worst NFL offseason of their lives.

If you're reading this article, you most likely know that there is an ongoing lockout between the NFL owners and players. Litigation, Unions, courts, blah blah blah.

Whatever. We've been deprived of free agency and minicamps. That means we haven't seen a glimpse of football since the Super Bowl.

And as the lockout hits 43 days, the question has arisen as to who the fans believe is at fault for the work stoppage.

The owners are the ones who opted out of the Collective Bargaining Agreement in 2008, thus ensuring its expiration in 2011.

Yet the players are the ones who chose to decline a last-minute offer (which was ridiculous in terms of how much the league gave in) from the NFL. Instead of accepting, the NFLPA decertified and enabled a lawsuit against the NFL.

They claimed that since the league owners refused to disclose financial data, the deal was most likely unfair.

And the rest is history.

I think one fan said it best about that argument:

"I know that if I went up to my boss and said, 'let me see your books so I can determine how much money you should pay me', I'd get fired. Grow up!"

The owners are also at fault here, however. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones reportedly had something to say during mediation.

"You clearly don't understand what we're saying, and we're not hearing what you're saying. So I guess we're going to have to show you to get your attention."

He then bumped his hands together to emphasize "lockout," stood up, and left the room.

Thanks, Jerry.

Comment below on who you think is at fault, and vote in the poll.

But in the end, do we care who's at fault? I just want to see some football. I know you do too.

Manchester United Northern Virginia Royals Wolverhampton Wanderers Vancouver Whitecaps Residency Portland Timbers

No comments:

Post a Comment