Sunday, February 20, 2011

MLS veteran Dema Kovalenko is retiring

Dema Kovalenko, the feisty midfielder who helped D.C. United win its most recent MLS Cup title and was on a playoff team in each of his 12 seasons, told the Insider that he is retiring. "I'm done," he said in a telephone conversation Monday. "I'm just not healthy anymore [referring to a back injury and other ailments]. I was interested in coming back, but when I started running on my own, I just didn't enjoy it anymore -- getting my body ready for another season." Kovalenko, 33, made nine league appearances last year for the Los Angeles Galaxy, which did not exercise the option on his contract. He wasn't selected in the re-entry drafts in December, and although he said there were opportunities to continue playing, he would've had to accept about half of what he earned last year ($144,000). For much more.....

Southern California Seahorses Ventura County Fusion Baltimore Blast California Cougars

No comments:

Post a Comment