Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Floyd Mayweather: Legendary Boxer's Ego Will Continue to Cause Trouble

After Floyd Mayweather made the entire boxing world look silly by requesting more than a 50/50 split in his fight with fellow star Manny Pacquiao, the undefeated champion let his ego get the better of him again.Mayweather has never been accused of using his brain, but the truth of the matter is that the star has gotten more egotistical by the day and his recent Twitter controversy proves it.

After tweeting about New York Knicks star Jeremy Lin last week and saying that the only reason there is hype surrounding him is because he is Asian, the outspoken boxer was not backing off.Mayweather told the New York Daily News about his lack of regret for his tweet and why he thinks what he said was justifiable.

Do I regret what I said? Absolutely not. I stand by what I said and I meant what I said. It’s OK for Miguel Cotto to represent the Puerto Rican fans and represent the Puerto Rican flag. I’m a black American. I believe in supporting my own first. That’s where I come from. They can feel my struggle if they come from the same background that I come from. That’s what I’m going to stand by. It’s so crazy. I’m not racist at all. I have Jewish people that work for me. Dominican, Mexican, Puerto Rican, white people who work for me. One of my best friends, Kip, is a white guy. All-American. That’s my guy.

While there are so many things I want to yell, I feel that UFC President Dana White summed it up perfectly.Mayweather doesn’t see his comment as racist, but most of the normal people in the world don’t think what he said was anywhere near correct or justified. It was flat-out racist.

The problem is that when a guy like Mayweather, who already has a severe Napoleon complex, gets too much power, he lets it go to his head. For years, Mayweather has thought he was above everyone and could say and do as he pleases.

The backlash against him proves that thesis was wrong.

With an ego that will never cease to amaze the fans and the media, you can expect this self-destructive behavior until we see a story about the former champion declaring bankruptcy in 15 years.

 

Check back for more on Boxing as it comes, and check out Bleacher Report’s Boxing Page to get your fill of all things from the squared circle. For more on boxing, check out Ring Rust Radio for all of the hot topics.

Orlando Sharks Major Indoor Soccer League Baltimore Blast Chicago Blackhawks

No comments:

Post a Comment